Summer is here full swing with the heat. And I thought I would share a few things on what we do around our house to beat the heat. Including this picture of Petra (from 2 years ago) beating the heat with her shady hat. Don’t forget your hats, sunscreen and bug repellent. Here are a five other things to do to beat the heat:
1. Get your workouts done in the morning. I try to get my workouts done first thing in the morning to beat the heat. In summer this usually means its no more than 85 degrees outside when I workout, which is far better than 100 degrees in the afternoons. Today’s workout – “Angie.” I scaled the pullups and pushups with a band so that I could complete them all. I finished in 37 minutes. You can see HERE my time was pretty horrible – but I’m still glad that I finished and did it! “Angie” includes:
- 100 pullups
- 100 pushups
- 100 situps
- 100 squats
2. Use Sun Guard – better than sunscreen because you aren’t lathering your skin with chemicals. Buy some RIT Sun Guard and wash your clothes in it. Provides 30 UPF protection and will last about 20 washes! To make it even better, one box is only $1.99.
3. Don’t let the flies eat all your fruit. If you are having a problem this summer with fruit flies, try this homemade trap from Passionate Homemaking. I have one in my house, yesterday I looked in and saw about 10 fruit flies in it. And if you are looking for a solution for outdoor flies you may want to try clear plastic bags. I’ve seen them in action in town, but never tried it myself. This blogger did try it though.
4. Treat yourself and the children to healthy frozen popsicles. Stay clear of store bought juice and sugar, instead make raw smoothies and freeze them in molds. Try these electric green pops from Eco Child’s Play to add some spinach to your child’s diet.
5. Take the family to the pool and help your children learn to swim. If they are still too young to swim, teach them to play in the water. Learning to play and be comfortable in the water is an important step to learning to swim. Here’s a video of Jasper jumping in the pool and swimming back to the top (about 19 months in this video).